My friend @KimBeraka from From My Corner of Saratoga asked me on Twitter today (the @LindaCarmical me that is), “Question: Would you find it a challenge to create a healthy meal for 4 for $10?” Kelly and I immediately started bouncing menu ideas off each other and Christina ot busy writing one up a Chicken Parmigiana at CutestKidEver. (I’m now sitting here waiting for Kelly to finish her Wal-Mart scooter and isle hogs post to get her recipe link for you. LOL…she’s not a happy camper AND SHE HATES SCOOTER ABUSERS!)
I finally settled on a family favorite to use for Kim’s
Healthy Garlic and Onion Chicken Recipe
- 2 Boneless Chicken Breasts*
- 1 Large Onion Diced
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder**
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil**
- 2 tbsp Margarine** (I use Country Crock)
- Pasta (I use Price Chopper Angel Hair or Orzo)
*Substitute chicken thighs if preferred.
*Use less or more depending on preference.
- In a medium to large skillet heat olive oil and margarine over medium heat.
- Dice onion and add to skillet. Cook until they start to get tender but not yet translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 the garlic powder to onions and stir.
- While onions are cooking, wash and cut chicken into bite size pieces. Add to onions and garlic.
- Add remaining garlic powder.
- Add more a little tbsp of 1 or 2 tbsp of water to skillet if needed to make more of a sauce. Cook until chicken pieces are not pink in the center, about 6 or 7 minutes.
Cook according to boxed instructions.
Serve the chicken dish on the side of, or over pasta. Depending on the time of year it may be possible to include a refreshing side salad and still keep it under $10.00.
- Favorite Greens
Perfect healthy dinner for under $10.00! Do you have one? If so, why not post one of your own and put a link to it below. You can tweet it out using the hashtag
#10dollardinnerchallenge. Or, just feel free to put the entire recipe in comments!